Climate change is a global problem facing mankind. With the emission of carbon dioxide and the sharp increase of greenhouse gases in various countries, it poses a threat to the life system. In this context, countries around the world reduce greenhouse gases in the form of a global compact. In September 2020, China announced to the world at the United Nations General Assembly the goals of achieving carbon peak by 2030 and carbon neutralization by 2060. So what is carbon peaking and carbon neutralization? Why should China put forward such a goal? What changes will carbon neutralization bring to our lives? What needs to be done to achieve carbon neutrality?
What is carbon peaking and carbon neutralization?
Carbon peaking means that at a certain point in time, carbon dioxide emissions will no longer increase, reach the peak, and then gradually fall back.
Carbon neutralization means that enterprises, groups or individuals calculate the total amount of greenhouse gas emissions directly or indirectly generated within a certain period of time to offset their own carbon dioxide emissions through afforestation, energy conservation and emission reduction, so as to achieve "zero emission" of carbon dioxide.
Internationally, some countries that have proposed carbon neutrality goals:
New Zealand: 2050
Why should China put forward the goal of carbon peak and carbon neutralization?
Realizing carbon neutralization is an inevitable requirement for China to implement the new development concept and promote high-quality development. China's announcement of the goal of carbon neutrality to the world, in addition to responding to the Paris Agreement, actively responding to climate change and highlighting the responsibilities and responsibilities of major countries, has far-reaching strategic significance in accelerating China's economic and energy transformation. Achieving carbon neutralization has the following significance:
● getting rid of energy dependence and carbon neutralization will promote China's development to transition from fossil energy to non fossil energy, which is of great significance for China to achieve energy independence and ensure energy security.
● the reconstruction of global industrial chain and zero carbon economy means the transformation of all value chains and promote the upstream and downstream of the industrial chain to achieve low-carbon production competitiveness.
● reshaping international standards, technological innovation will change the way of energy utilization, promote the formation of new industrial chains and new international standards, and generate new ways of profit creation.
● create employment opportunities. A zero carbon economy will create a large number of stable employment opportunities in renewable energy, electric vehicles, batteries, energy conservation and other fields.
● form technical advantages and enhance China's leading position in global multi-technical fields. At present, China has development advantages in new energy, battery technology, transportation electrification, steel and other fields, which can form technical advantages.
● strengthen international cooperation. In the future, the world's major economies will participate in carbon neutrality. It is of great significance to promote new energy development and global cooperation against the background of repeated trade frictions.
What changes will carbon neutralization bring to everyone's life?
Ground transportation: the transportation industry will be restructured as a whole, all fuel vehicles will be withdrawn, and 100% of the roads are new energy vehicles;
Intelligent transportation: automatic driving and intelligent transportation are fully popularized, urban roads are no longer crowded, and traffic efficiency is optimal;
Aviation and shipping: fully use hydrogen energy and biomass energy to replace existing fossil fuels.
Air quality: the air quality has improved significantly, and the haze is no longer rampant;
Vegetation coverage: forest carbon sink has been greatly improved, and the maximum forest coverage can reach 28%;
Environmental protection system: environmental protection policies tend to be more stringent, and the cost of environmental protection compliance of enterprises is high;
Biodiversity: urban biodiversity is improved, and man and nature live in harmony.
Industrial Transformation: backward production capacity is withdrawn, carbon intensive industries with serious pollution no longer exist, and low-carbon industries are booming;
Investment preference: a large amount of investment has shifted from fossil fuel intensive assets to renewable energy related assets, and the proportion of technological innovation investment has increased;
Employment opportunities: a large number of employment opportunities have emerged in the renewable energy industry. It is expected that the number of employees in China's renewable energy industry will exceed 10 million by 2050.
Energy structure: wind energy, solar energy and biomass energy will become the main energy sources, and fossil energy is expected to account for only 9% in the future;
Energy consumption: all industries have the highest electrification rate and use clean electricity to meet their own energy needs;
Energy demand: with the change of energy structure, China will no longer rely heavily on the import of fossil fuels such as oil and coal, and the level of national energy security will be completely improved.
Contact Person: Mr. Fan