On February 22 this year, the organization for economic cooperation and development said that less than 10% of the plastics used worldwide were recycled, and called for the implementation of a "coordinated global solution" before the negotiation of an international plastics treaty.
According to the global plastics outlook report released by the organization for economic cooperation and development, 460 million tons of plastics were used worldwide in 2019, which has almost doubled since 2000. During this period, the amount of plastic waste more than doubled to 353 million tons. But in the end, only 9% of plastic waste is recycled, 19% is incinerated and nearly 50% is sent to sanitary landfills. The remaining 22% were discarded in uncontrolled landfills, burned in the open air or leaked into the environment.
In addition, the global plastics outlook report also shows that the covid-19 pandemic has reduced plastic use by 2.2% in 2020 compared with the previous year. However, with the economic rebound, the use of disposable plastics has increased, and the overall use is "expected to rise again".
According to the report, plastics accounted for 3.4% of global greenhouse gas emissions in 2019, of which 90% came from "the production and conversion of fossil fuels". Matthias Coleman, Secretary General of the organization for economic cooperation and development, said that in the face of rampant global warming and pollution, "it is very important for countries to respond to challenges with coordinated global solutions".
Thinking of the source after drinking water and protecting the environment is an eternal topic that mankind needs to pay attention to. Whether it is waste classification or plastic pollution control, we need to take persistent actions.
Plastic reduction action, you and I participate and build a new green life! According to 357, we hereby appeal to the public to join the ranks of plastic reduction:
1. Do not use or reduce the use of disposable plastic lunch boxes, disposable tablecloth and disposable chopsticks.
2. Carry cloth bags and vegetable baskets again, reuse durable shopping bags, and refuse to use disposable plastic bags.
3. Bring your own shopping bags when shopping, and minimize the use of disposable paper cups, wooden chopsticks and lunch boxes, as well as all products that can produce white pollution.
4. Do not litter and waste, and put the waste into the designated dustbin. Promote waste classification, clean up "white" pollution, tie waste plastic bags and then throw them into the dustbin.
5. Support and participate in the recycling of waste paper, waste glass, waste plastics and waste metals to minimize domestic waste.
6. Do not burn disposable plastic products to avoid generating harmful gases to pollute the environment. When you see the behavior of burning garbage, you should bravely stop it.
7. In daily life, if you see litter everywhere, you should pick it up and put it into the dustbin.
8. Be a good environmental propagandist and drive family and friends to use environmental protection products.
9. Actively participate in environmental protection activities, be an environmental guard and strive to eliminate white pollution.